Servers We Trust
ThinkSystem SR650 Rack Server V2
* We Setup & Install Everything - Ship to You - Transfer Your Data *
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR650 V2 is an ideal 2-socket 2U rack server for small businesses up to large enterprises that need industry-leading reliability, management, and security, as well as maximizing performance and flexibility for future growth. The SR650 V2 is designed to handle a wide range of workloads, such as databases, virtualization and cloud computing, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), infrastructure security, systems management, enterprise applications, collaboration/email, streaming media, web, and HPC.
Future defined data center
Lenovo delivers cost-effective, reliable, and scalable solutions by combining industry-leading technology and the world’s best software-defined offerings with Lenovo ThinkShield, XClarity, and TruScale Infrastructure Services to manage the life cycle of your data center needs. ThinkSystem SR650 provides support for data analytics, hybrid cloud, hyperconverged infrastructure, video surveillance, high performance computing and much more.
Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory delivers a new, flexible tier of memory designed specifically for data center workloads that offer an unprecedented combination of high capacity, affordability, and persistence. This technology will have a significant impact on real-world data center operations: reduction of restart times from minutes down to seconds, 1.2x virtual machine density, dramatically improved data replication with 14x lower latency and 14x higher IOPS, and greater security for persistent data built into hardware.*
Lenovo AnyBay design features a choice of drive interface type in the same drive bay: SAS drives, SATA drives, or U.2 NVMe PCIe drives. Freedom to configure some of the bays with PCIe SSDs and still use the remaining bays for capacity SAS drives provides the ability to upgrade to more PCIe SSDs in the future as needed.
Empowering IT management
Lenovo XClarity Controller is the embedded management engine in all ThinkSystem servers that is designed to standardize, simplify, and automate foundation server management tasks. Lenovo XClarity Administrator is a virtualized application that centrally manages ThinkSystem servers, storage, and networking, which can reduce provisioning time up to 95% versus manual operation. Running XClarity Integrator helps you streamline IT management, speed provisioning, and contain costs by seamlessly integrating XClarity into an existing IT environment.
Combining performance and flexibility, the SR650 V2 server is a great choice for enterprises of all sizes. The server offers a broad selection of drive and slot configurations and offers numerous high performance features. Outstanding reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS) and high-efficiency design can improve your business environment and can help save operational costs.
Scalability and performance
The SR650 V2 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability and reduce costs:
- Supports one or two third-generation Intel Xeon Processor Scalable processors
- Up to 40 cores and 80 threads
- Core speeds of up to 3.6 GHz
- TDP ratings of up to 270W
- Support for up to 32 TruDDR4 memory DIMMs operating at up to 3200 MHz means you have the fastest available memory subsystem.
- Supports configurations of 2 DIMMs per channel to operate at the 3200 MHz rated speed of the memory DIMMs.
- Using 128GB 3DS RDIMMs, the server supports up to 4TB of system memory.
- Supports the new Intel Optane Persistent Memory 200 Series for advanced in-memory database applications, dense-virtualization; up to 16 PMem Modules can be installed in conjunction with regular system memory.
- Supports up to eight single-width GPUs or three double-wide GPUs, for substantial processing power in a 2U system.
- Supports up to 40x 2.5-inch hot-swap drive bays, by using combinations of front-accessible (up to 24 bays), mid bays (8 bays) and rear-accessible (8 bays).
- Supports 20x 3.5-inch drive bays for lower-cost high-capacity HDD storage. 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drive bays can be mixed if desired.
- Supports 16x NVMe drives without oversubscription of PCIe lanes (1:1 connectivity), or up to 32 NVMe drives with a 1:2 oversubscription. The use of NVMe drives maximizes drive I/O performance, in terms of throughput and latency.
- Supports 12x SATA drives using the onboard SATA controller (no additional adapter needed), enabling lower cost, high capacity storage solution for cold or archival storage workloads.
- Supports high-speed RAID controllers from Broadcom providing 12 Gb SAS connectivity to the drive backplanes. A variety of PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 RAID adapters are available.
- Supports up to two externally accessible 7mm hot-swap drives with RAID functionality for operating system boot functions.
- Supports M.2 drives for convenient operating system boot functions. Available M.2 adapters support either one M.2 drive or two M.2 drives in a RAID 1 configuration for performance and reliability.
- The server has a dedicated industry-standard OCP 3.0 small form factor (SFF) slot, with a PCIe 4.0 x16 interface, supporting a variety of Ethernet network adapters. A simple-swap mechanism with a thumbscrew and pull-tab enables tool-less installation and removal of the adapter. The adapter supports shared BMC network sideband connectivity to enable out-of-band systems management.
- The server offers PCI Express 4.0 I/O expansion capabilities that doubles the theoretical maximum bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 (16GT/s in each direction for PCIe 4.0, compared to 8 GT/s with PCIe 3.0). A PCIe 4.0 x16 slot provides 64 GB/s bandwidth, enough to support a 200GbE network connection.
- The server offers up to eight PCIe 4.0 slots, all with rear access, plus an internal bay for a cabled RAID adapter or HBA, plus a slot dedicated to the OCP adapter.
Availability and serviceability
The SR650 V2 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- The server offers Single Device Data Correction (SDDC, also known as Chipkill), Adaptive Double-Device Data Correction (ADDDC, also known as Redundant Bit Steering or RBS), memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- The server offers hot-swap drives, supporting RAID redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- Available M.2 RAID Boot Adapters support RAID-1 which can enable two SATA or two NVMe M.2 drives to be configured as a redundant pair.
- The server has up to two hot-swap redundant power supplies and up to six hot-swap redundant fans to provide availability for business-critical applications.
- The light path diagnostics feature uses LEDs to lead the technician to failed (or failing) components, which simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) offer more reliability and performance than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts): Processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, NVMe SSDs, M.2 storage, flash storage adapters), fans, power supplies, RAID controllers, server ambient and subcomponent temperatures. Alerts can be surfaced through the XClarity Controller to managers such as Lenovo XClarity Administrator, VMware vCenter, and Microsoft System Center. These proactive alerts let you take appropriate actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability.
- The built-in XClarity Controller continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failures to minimize downtime.
- Built-in diagnostics in UEFI, using Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager, speed up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time.
- Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager supports diagnostics and can save service data to a USB key drive or remote CIFS share folder for troubleshooting and reduce service time.
- Auto restart in the event of a momentary loss of AC power (based on power policy setting in the XClarity Controller service processor)
- Offers a diagnostics port on the front of the server to allow you to attach an external diagnostics handset for enhanced systems management capabilities.
- Support for the XClarity Administrator Mobile app running on a supported smartphone or tablet and connected to the server through the service-enabled USB port, enables additional local systems management functions.
- Three-year or one-year customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty (varies by geography), 9 x 5 next business day. Optional service upgrades are available.
Manageability and security
Systems management features simplify local and remote management of the SR650 V2:
- The server includes an XClarity Controller (XCC) to monitor server availability. Optional upgrade to XCC Advanced to provide remote control (keyboard video mouse) functions. Optional upgrade to XCC Enterprise enables the additional support for the mounting of remote media files (ISO and IMG image files), boot capture, and power capping.
- Lenovo XClarity Administrator offers comprehensive hardware management tools that help to increase uptime, reduce costs and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- UEFI-based Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager, accessible from F1 during boot, provides system inventory information, graphical UEFI Setup, platform update function, RAID Setup wizard, operating system installation function, and diagnostic functions.
- Support for Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager, which captures real-time power and temperature data from the server and provides automated controls to lower energy costs.
- An integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- Support for industry standard management protocols, IPMI 2.0, SNMP 3.0, Redfish REST API, serial console via IPMI
- An integrated hardware Trusted Platform Module (TPM) supporting TPM 2.0 enables advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Administrator and power-on passwords help protect from unauthorized access to the server.
- Supports Secure Boot to ensure only a digitally signed operating system can be used. Supported with HDDs and SSDs, as well as 7mm and M.2 drives.
- Industry-standard Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) NI support for faster, stronger encryption.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supported operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space, protected from all other software running on a system.
- Additional physical security features are an available chassis intrusion switch and available lockable front bezel.
The SR650 V2 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, and increase energy availability:
- Energy-efficient system board components help lower operational costs.
- High-efficiency power supplies with 80 PLUS Platinum and Titanium certifications
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) consume as much as 80% less power than traditional spinning 2.5-inch HDDs.
- The server uses hexagonal ventilation holes, which can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow through the system and thus keeping your system cooler.
- Optional Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager provides advanced data center power notification, analysis, and policy-based management to help achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs.